As I've alluded to in the past, I create pallet furniture. I have loads of free pallets from my brother's business. Instead of tossing them in a landfill, I recycle them into really cool couches, table, footstools, bars...signs, chandeliers, bottle openers...you get the picture.
With these two facts, of course I decided I could build a Chicken Mansion! er...coop...
Hubby and I started out by building a frame. The coop is 7' long and 5' wide. The height slopes from 7' in the front to 5' in the back. After the frame was constructed, I started cutting down pallets. Hubby decided I was responsible enough to use the reciprocal saw...that makes pallet cutting MUCH easier! Of course, I did have some pretty good blisters, but that was a small price to pay for the ease, perfection and quickness of the pallet dismantling process.
I started siding the coop at this point. I added a "window" opening and vent holes for light and breeze. These have been covered with chicken screen to keep predators outside. We happened to find a bifold door and a screen door in our basement; those have been repurposed into the front door and yard door in the coop. Inside I have already placed the shelf for the brooding boxes. I'm also in the process of working on the roosting bars. I found a really cool piece of wood in my pile that I will use as a swing.
Once the coop is finished, I plan to add a front and side yard to the coop. This should give my girls a good area to roam.
This has been a learning process, but also a lot of fun. Minnie, our big dog, enjoys the coop, so I've decided to use our scraps to build a matching dog house for her. As I get better at this, I'm going to be making small coops for people who want to save money and the environment using self sustainability and chickens in their backyard. I hope to work with a local agency that works with formerly homeless families, to help integrate the families into self sufficiency.
So, that's what's kept me busy lately!